This post contains affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you click a link and purchase something I’ve recommended. Thank you so much for your support! 💛
Hi, lovelies! 💛 Happy New Year’s Eve! Can you believe the holiday season is almost over and winter is here? I thought it’d the the perfect time to continue my “fun things to do” series. I’ve already made one for summer and fall, and have been thinking of ideas for this post since the beginning of December! After all, there are loads of fun things you can do in January and winter in general!
We’re going to be ringing in the new year in less than 24 hours..so exciting! Tonight, I’ll be at a family get-together at my aunt’s house. My mom is making her famous tiramisu and we’ll be watching Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve special.
Whether you’re going out or chilling at home like me, I hope that you have a wonderful time with your friends and loved ones tonight!
January sometimes gets a pretty bad rap for being a “boring” month. It’s time to have some fun with the help of snowflake cupcakes, cabin getaways, and the latest Netflix series! Here are 40 awesome winter activities to ensure you have an exciting post-holiday season! ❄️
40 Fun Things to Do in January
1. Write a poem or short story at your local coffee shop.
2. Build a snowman.
Out of all the fun things you can do in January, building a snowman has to be the most classic! ☃️
3. Learn a new language with Rosetta Stone.
My boyfriend recently bought me the full course for Italian, but they also have a New Year’s special on their website, yay!
4. Bake some of these yummy snowflake cupcakes.
5. Plan a scenic ski vacation.
It’s snow gear time! We’re talking puffy coats, goggles, and snow bib overalls! Here are the top ski trip destinations around the world!
6. Follow a winter themed makeup tutorial.
7. Complete a giant puzzles from Amazon.
I just stumbled upon a 4-in-1 Disney Collections set and a 750 piece Little Mermaid puzzle! LOVE!
8. Make a cup of tea and listen to a winter themed playlist.
9. Binge watch Netflix or Hulu’s newest movies and series.
10. Cozy up with a fuzzy throw blanket and novel.
Here’s a list of the best fiction books of 2018 for some reading inspo, via Bustle!
11. Rent a cabin for the most relaxing weekend getaway.
These 15 cozy cabins all look so dreamy!
12. Scroll through WordPress and read an awesome blog post!
Here are a few bloggers that I love and some of their recent posts! Make sure to check them out, y’all! 💓
13. Take a peaceful train ride to the next town.
14. Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or food pantry.
15. Host a game night.
Invite your friends over and play some classic games like Apples to Apples, Scrabble, Life, or Monopoly!
16. SNOWBALL FIGHT!
17. Shop online while chilling on the couch.
Now that’s what I call a Friday night!
18. Spend a day at the arcade.
19. Go to an indoor water park.
20. Make chicken noodle soup.
Or any of these comforting winter soup recipes! Definitely the coziest idea in this fun things to do in January list! 🍲
21. See a musical.
Google search musicals near you, and plan a trip to the theatre! Personally, I’ve always wanted to see the Phantom of the Opera live!
22. Go iceskating with your besties.
23. Enjoy a cup of hot chocolate.
This French Hot Chocolate looks amazing!
24. Start a DIY project, like a winter wonderland wreath for your front door.
January gets a pretty bad rep for being a “boring” month. Why not glam up the house a bit with a few wintery decorations? ❄️
25. Go sledding.
26. Build a blanket fort in your living room.
They always look so pretty and comfy!
27. Attend an open mic.
28. Hang out in your coziest PJ’s all day!
I bought the softest sleep shorts at Aeropostale today…can’t wait for the next lazy Sunday hehe!
29. Watch your favorite music videos.
After dinner, Alejandro and I spent Christmas Eve watching music videos with his family. That was so much fun! A perfect “hanging out at home all day” activity…especially when it’s 32 degrees outside!
30. Go see a late-night movie at the theatre.
There’s something so awesome about seeing a movie at 12 am on a Saturday night!
31. Knit a scarf or hat for someone you love.
32. Go window shopping downtown.
I love taking train rides to Chicago in the winter and visiting Michigan Avenue. There’s the shops in the Water Tower, Magnificent Mile, and gorgeous scenery of the city. Even if I don’t end up buying anything, it’s always super exciting!
33. Throw a dinner party.
34. Sign up for a class that interests you.
Since it’s cold outside, it’s a great time to learn something new. Personally, I really want to sign up for dance classes or singing lessons since I love music!
35. Re-organize and clean out your purse or makeup bag.
Just so satisfying!
36. Visit the science museum.
Sometimes museums have free entry days (yay!), so make sure to check out their website beforehand!
37. Light a scented candle that says “What’s up, January!”
This Marshmallow Fireside candle from B&BW gives me “peaceful evening in a winter cottage” vibes!
38. Sit by a window and watch snow falling outside.
Imagine a quiet morning and the scent of coffee brewing in the kitchen. Basically heaven lol!
39. Start a bullet journal.
In the journal, you can plan your day or month, make to-do lists, and write down your thoughts.
40. Try one these gorgeous snowflake craft projects!
Feel free to click on the image and download/print out the checklist! ☃️
I hope that you enjoyed this post, lovelies! Have a fantastic rest of your holiday! x
What are some of fun things you’d like to do in January? Were any on this list? Also, what are you looking forward to most this winter?